Tuesday 6 November 2012

Moving swiftly on...

Well HELLO there!
Gosh, it's been a while.
I'm so sorry. 
Things have been moving on a bit here in more ways than one
and I just seem to have let the time whizz past without writing about it.
Hey ho, I'm sure you've all just about managed to survive without updates on the excitement that comes from living a life like mine.
Ahem. 

Sooooooo, what, you may ask, have I been doing with my life since the 21st September? 

Here is a list that may or may not include the things I have mostly been doing:
1/ Moving myself, my quadrupeds and all of our earthly belongings from Scotland to Hampshire
(pause while I sob uncontrollably and attempt to regain composure)
Source
It was kind of like this when I left Scotland.
Except for Bond, M and the Aston Martin.
Oh, and I didn't live in the Highlands.
But you get the idea.
2/ Going to some weddings 
(yawn... only joking)

3/ Getting involved in protracted negotiations with the British and US governments to prevent the wonderful Ms Gesci M (and Sloan, Max, Mia and Paul (see Paul, I didn't forget you)) from leaving the UK.
The talks failed.
Sniff.

4/ Wallowing in self-pity at my inability to find a job and wondering at my exceptional talent for always being the second choice

5/ Drinking a lot of tea.
Approximate number of cups of tea drunk by me every day.
Source
6. Searching jobs.ac.uk and Guardian Jobs at least twenty times a day in the hope that someone, somewhere might actually have a job that I am qualified to do.

7. Feeling sorry for myself.
Oh, I already said that.

8. De-cluttering. 
As in: I've moved home to live with my parents and I'm suddenly finding that I really don't need to hold on to every single lecture note I've ever taken. Simply because there isn't enough space in the world for all of the clutter I've accumulated since I left home 10 years ago.
And I finally ditched my GCSE Latin books because, strangely enough, they've never come in handy like I thought they might.

So, yeah, as I said, things have been moving on.

The good thing, though, is that I'm back.
I've missed you.


2 comments:

the Frugal Ecologist said...

Glad that you are back! I love the churchill quote - good advice in an academic job search. It's hard to stay looking on the brightside with all of the rejection & uncertainty. Fingers crossed for you!!

Gesci said...

Helllloooooo!! (Yes, I know I'm commenting backwards. Oops.) I'm glad you're back! And yes, sadly. My car even docks in the US on Sunday, meaning that we've all traversed the Atlantic... sigh. At least you KNOW we'll be back- and I'll join you for all that tea drinking ;)